- Increase maximum aperture by 1 stop.
- Increase MTF.
- Makes lens 0.71x wider.
- Advanced 5-element/4-group optical design incorporating ultra-high index tanatalum-based optical glass by Caldwell Photographic in the USA (patent pending).
- Electronic integration of aperture diaphragm, controlled by or from the camera body.
- Partial autofocus support for late-model (post-2006) Canon-brand lenses.
- Powered by camera body. No external power source required.
- High performance 32-bit processor and efficient switched-mode power supply.
- The tripod foot is detachable and compatible with Arca Swiss, Markins, Photo Clam ball heads.
- Flocking material coating inside the inner hole to reduce the internal reflection.
Image stabilization (IS) lenses
Electronic manual focusing (e.g. EF 85/1.2L II and discontinued EF 50/1.0L)
EXIF (focal length, aperture, zoom range)
P, A, S, M exposure modes
Autofocus (see autofocus support section below)
Distance and zoom display on VG and FS series camcorders (see note 1)
Auto magnify (see note 1)
Contax N mount lenses modified to Canon EF by Conurus (see note 2)
Contax 645 NAM-1 adapter modified to Canon EF by Conurus (see note 2)
Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lenses in Canon EF mount (see note 3
|Not supported:||EF-S lenses|
NEX-VG900 (see note 4)
Lens correction such as peripheral shading, CA and distortion
Focus confirmation 'chip' (e.g. Dandelion)
M42 screw mount adapters (see note 6)
Stacking non-Metabones/non-Conurus mount adapters on top (see note 7 and list of lenses which require modification below.)
Certain telephoto lenses (see note 8)
Lens: Tamron SP 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC
|Note:||1. Requires lenses supporting distance information.|
2. Autofocus disabled for Contax N and Contax 645 lenses.
3. A third party zoom lens may need to be registered with the Smart Adapter first in order to detect its maximum aperture. Autofocus is disabled for most third-party lenses.
4. This Speed Booster ULTRA is designed to cover an APS-C image circle which is not big enough to cover a full-size 36mm x 24mm sensor.
5. Sony NEX cameras cannot display aperture values beyond f/1.0. If a f/1.2 Canon EF lens is used with Speed Booster ULTRA the resulting aperture is f/0.9 but the camera body displays the original aperture f/1.2 to the camera body. i.e, lenses slower than f/1.4 report boosted aperture to camera body; lenses at or faster than f/1.4 report original aperture to camera body. (with firmware later than V0.38)
6. Some improperly-made M42 screw mount adapters may short the electronic contacts of the Speed Booster ULTRA and cause damage to the Speed Booster ULTRA and/or camera body.
7. Many manual focus lenses (e.g. OM 28/2.8, OM 50/1.8, Leica R 15/3.5) have rear protrusions (spikes, levers, other appendages) which would damage the optics and/or housing of Speed Booster ULTRA They need to be modified before they can be safely used on Speed Booster Check and make sure there are no rear protrusions from the adapter/lens combination before using on Speed Booster. Scratches and damages caused by rear protrusions on Speed Booster are not covered by warranty.
8. Some telephoto lenses such as the Leica-R Telyt 560/5.6 may have significant vignetting in the corners.
9. This Speed Booster ULTRA is NOT fully compatible with full-frame Sony A7, A7R and A7S. When Speed Booster® ULTRA is used with Sony A7, A7R and A7S, the camera will turn on the 'APS-C Size Capture' mode automatically.
|Autofocus is supported, with the following known limitations.:||Autofocus speed is very slow and inadequate for most moving subjects. The autofocus speed is unfit for professional use for sure, and it would disappoint most enthusiasts.|
Only Canon-branded lenses introduced in or after 2006 are officially supported. Autofocus is disabled for older Canon lenses and most third-party lenses, including most Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lenses and all Contax N lenses modified by Conurus.
On FS series (e.g. FS7, FS700, FS100), autofocus may be available only in photo mode but not in movie capture mode.
Continuous AF is not supported.
DMF mode (direct manual focus) is not supported.
For non-camcorder camera bodies (e.g. NEX-7), during movie capture, if the subject moves to a different distance, half-press the shutter release button to re-activate autofocus and lock onto the subject again. Since autofocus speed is slow, there may be visible disruption in the resulting footage.
The first two autofocus attempts are used to calibrate the lens and as a result may not lock successfully on the target. Half-press the shutter release button again and autofocus will lock successfully.
Autofocus may have difficultly locking onto subjects which are very close to the nearest focusing distance of the lens.
Autofocus accuracy depends heavily on the working condition of the lens. Lenses with hidden problems which may not be apparent on Canon DSLRs will lead to inaccurate and unreliable autofocus on Sony NEX. Typical problems of this kind that we have seen include an unsmooth/erratic autofocus mechanism (e.g. getting stuck intermittently at a certain focusing distance), a worn-out gear train with out-of-spec backlash, a faulty/worn-out distance encoder or other faulty/worn-out internal sensors.
|List of lenses with autofocus support on Speed Booster ULTRA|
|Canon EF primes:||EF 14/2.8L II USM|
EF 24/1.4L II USM
EF 24/2.8 IS USM
EF 35/1.4L USM (Ver.19)
EF 50/1.2L USM
EF 85/1.2L II USM
EF 85/1.8 USM (Ver.18)
EF 100/2.8 USM macro (Ver.17)
EF 135/2L USM (Ver.17)
EF 200/2.8L II USM (Ver.17)
EF 300/2.8L IS USM
Extender EF 1.4x III
Extender EF 2x (mark I
|Canon EF zooms:||EF 8-15/4L USM fisheye|
EF 17-40/4L USM
EF 20-35/2.8L (Ver.18)
EF 22-55/4-5.6 USM
EF 24-70/2.8L USM II
EF 28-80/3.5-5.6 II (Ver.18)
EF 28-90/4-5.6 III
EF 35-350/3.5-5.6L (Ver.18)
EF 70-200/2.8L IS USM II
EF 70-200/4L USM
EF 70-200/4L IS USM
EF 70-300/4-5.6L IS USM
EF 70-300/4-5.6 IS USM
EF 100-300/5.6 (non-L, not USM, push-pull zoom) (Ver.18)
EF 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS USM
|Tamron:||SP 24-70/2.8 Di VC USD A007 (Ver.15)|
SP 70-200/2.8 Di VC USD A009 (Ver.31
|Tokina (full frame):||28-80/3.5-5.6 (Ver.18|
|Autofocus is DISABLED for the following lenses|
|Canon EF primes:||EF 14/2.8L (mark I)|
EF 20/2.8 USM*
EF 24/1.4L USM (mark I)
EF 24/2.8 (old version, non-IS)
EF 50/1.4 USM
EF 50/1.8 II
MP-E 65/2.8 macro
EF 85/1.2L (mark I)
EF 400/5.6L USM
|Canon EF zooms:||EF 24-70/2.8L (mark I)|
EF 24-105/4L IS USM*
EF 28-70/3.5-4.5 II
|Contax N modified by Conurus:||Vario-Sonnar 17-35/2.8|
Makro-Sonnar 100/2.8 (Ver.21)
|Sigma (full frame):||24-70/2.8 EX HSM|
24-70/2.8 EX DG HSM
50/1.4 DG HSM (Ver.17)*
50/2.8 DG Macro
70-200/2.8 EX DG Macro HSM
|Tokina:||AT-X PRO 28-70/2.8|
|Zeiss ZE:||ZE Distagon 15/2.8|
ZE Distagon 21/2.8
ZE Distagon 35/2
ZE Makro-Planar 50/2
ZE Makro-Planar 100/2
|List of manual focus lenses which REQUIRE MODIFICATION to be used on Speed Booster ULTRA|
|Leica R:||Super-Elmar-R 15mm|
Elmarit R 28/2.8
Elmarit R 35/2.8
Summicron R 50/2
|Nikon F:||20/2.8 AI-S|
|Olympus OM:||OM 18/3.5|
|Pentax K:||Every Pentax K-mount lens has a protruding fin and an aperture lever. It does NOT fit.|
Sharper corners, less distortion, reduced vignetting
New optical design: advanced 5-element/4-group optical design incorporating ultra-high index tanatalum-based optical glass to achieve extraordinary optical performance with improved corner sharpness, distortion and reduced vignetting.
Like the revolutionary original Metabones Speed Booster announced in January 2013, the Speed Booster ULTRA has a magnification of 0.71x, and so it effectively reduces the crop factor of mirrorless cameras with DX-sized sensors, such as Sony E-mount and Fuji X-mount cameras, from 1.5x to 1.07x. However, the new ULTRA design makes very effective use of exotic materials at the furthest limit of glassmaking technology, and as a result is well corrected for use with virtually all fullframe SLR lenses regardless of exit pupil distance. Thus, the Speed Booster ULTRA performs extremely well with professional-grade f/2.8 zoom lenses such as the 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 zooms by Canon and Nikon to produce 17-50mm f/2.0 and 50-142mm f/2.0 high-speed zooms, respectively. Similarly, high-speed fixed focal length lenses such as a 50mm f/1.2 will be transformed into a 35.5mm f/0.9 lens with excellent contrast and resolution from the center all the way to the edges of the image.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long will it take for my order to arrive?
This can be as fast as 1-2 business days on the eastern seaboard, and 3-5 business days to the western seaboard.
However , shipping times vary depending on the location of our distributors (all are based in Australia), your delivery address (metro, regional or rural), and any network disruptions that may be occurring (for example, delays due to extreme weather events).
If you need your order urgently, or by a specific date, please Contact us so we can find a solution that works best for you.
You will receive tracking information for all orders so you can keep an eye on the delivery status too.
What are your shipping options?
Our items are typically shipped directly from our distributors to you.
In most cases, this means there is only one shipping option available, which is typically the most efficient and cost-effective delivery method available. It also means your order may arrive in multiple packages from multiple carriers.
We will provide you with tracking information for all items so you can keep an eye on their delivery status.
If you require an item urgently, please contact us so we can find a solution that works best for you.
Do you offer discounts for bulk orders?
The honest answer is, it depends on the brand and quantity you're looking to order. We're here to make the process as smooth as possible for you, so if you're looking to place a bulk order, the best thing to do is contact us directly, so we can provide a personalised quote for you.
What is your return policy?
If you have placed an order with us and wish to cancel your order for any reason – even if you simply change your mind – we will provide you with a full refund, provided that we receive notice of the cancellation of your order before we have begun processing your order.
If we have already started processing your order, or you've already received it, please read our Change of Mind policy.
Speak to one of our dedicated Australian-based sales team members